Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper


80920707.JPG.jpgFrom the Publisher: "Eleven-year-old Melody has a photographic memory. Her head is like a video camera that is al
ways recording.  She's the smartest kid in her whole school, but no one knows it. Most people, her teachers and doctors included, don't think she's capable of learning, and up until recently her school days consisted of listening to the same preschool-level alphabet lessons again and again and again. If only she could speak up, if only she could tell people what she thinks and knows . . . but she can't, because Melody can't talk. She can't walk. She can't write.Being stuck inside her head is making Melody go out of her mind, that is, until she discovers something that will allow her to speak for the first time ever. At last Melody has a voice . . . but not everyone around her is ready to hear it." 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, 2010, 295 pp.

8 comments:

  1. I couldn't put down this book! The main character, Melody, is very compelling. I was cheering for her right up to the end. This would make a powerful read aloud for grades 4-6.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the story is very suspenseful and sad at the ending because a bad thing happens. I liked the story a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was phenomenal. I did it as a read aloud and it really had my kids interested and discussing how Melody was treated by her classmates. Kids were intrigued by the book's structure - she starts the book writing her autobiography and at the end of the book she is starting her autobiography - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it but it was a little sad and depressing and i think melody should have been treated better than she was. But it was amazing I give it two thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the book Out Of My Mind was a very interesting book and it's very happy until the last few chapters of the book but it's a very suspenseful book and is very easy to understand and it makes you be excited for the next chapter

    ReplyDelete
  6. VERY Suspensful, picked it up couldn't put it down, am excited to have it in my summer reading program booklet. I give it two thumbs up and highly recommend it as a read aloud story.

    ~Out of my mind~

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book is a book you can't put down!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the way the author really describes how Melody is feeling that very moment. Even though I am only in fourth grade I still understood it as much as all of you did. I recommend this book to anyone that sees this blog. Boys and girls, children or adults would all love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Out of My Mind was amazing! It really made me feel bad for the main character Melody because she is paralyzed. It made me feel bad for her because the author really describes how Melody is feeling. Like when her little sister wanders out of her house and gets hit by a car and Melody is so frustrated and sad and devastated. Also when Melody gets left behind and she feels helpless. It makes you think about Melody and what experiences you have had and how you and Melody are alike. The book really gives you Melody's full thought. I don't think that I would have thought about something like what the book explains since Melody is paralyzed. It makes me feel very lucky!

    ReplyDelete